Every Baby in Finland sleeps in a cardboard box and here’s why it’s so great!
When you think of a baby being put in a box, it likely makes you think of abandonment. But apparently, a baby sleeping in a cardboard box can be a really good thing. In fact, every newborn baby in Finland sleeps in a box for the complete opposite reason: to protect and nurture the child. Like all our Scandinavian friends, Finland is especially progressive in its politics, and its government plays a consistent and pervasive role in the welfare of its people.
This very special box is sent out to every expectant mother in Finland by the government FOR FREE, and has been sent out since 1938. The box includes:
- The box itself, which is a crib for the baby. It comes furnished with mattress, mattress cover, under sheet, duvet cover, blanket and sleeping bag/quilt.
- Baby clothes including a snowsuit, knitted overalls, balaclava, other hats, leggings, romper suits mittens, booties and socks all in gender neutral patterns and colors.
- A hooded bath towel, nail scissors, hairbrush, toothbrush, bath thermometer, diaper cream, washcloth, a sustainable cloth diaper set and muslin squares.
- A picture book and teething toy.
It’s great. Here’s why:
- Mothers get the choice between the box and a $140 euro grant.
Although 95% choose the box, this proves that the Finnish government is really in tune with the actual needs of new mothers and are subsequently able to lessen the stress of having to collate the infrastructure of products and items needed to care for an infant.
2. That stuff is expensive! So the box eases the mother’s financial burden. It contributes to the country’s low infant mortality rate, which has dropped dramatically since the introduction of the box.
3. In order to be eligible for the box, women must visit a doctor before their 4th month of pregnancy is up. This ensures expectant mothers are receiving adequate prenatal care, catering to not only the needs of the baby but the needs of the mother as well.
4. It make Finnish families feel like the government cares.
Upon learning about the Baby Boxes that are delivered to all expectant mothers in Finland Jennifer Clary and Michelle Vick- best friends since childhood were inspired to start The Baby Box Company. Michelle, a new mom herself, wished that she had been sent something just like it when her daughter was born, instead of having to figure our exactly what she needed and which products were the best through the frustrating, lengthy and expensive process of trial and error.
The Baby Box Company’s mission is to give expectant mothers throughout the world the very best start for their babies, enabling them to reduce stress and feel confident that they are well prepared for this new and exciting chapter in their life. for every Baby Box that is purchased, a portion of the proceeds goes towards helping a new mother who is struggling to make ends meet.
Osocozy is proud to partner with The Baby Box Company and now include Osocozy discount coupons in each baby box. Go to their website for more info. http://thebabyboxco.com/